On July 2, 1935, Mrs. Frederick Crumpacker Invited A Group Of Hammond Women To A Tea For The Purpose Of Forming A Support Group For The Bethany Home For Children.
The Bethany League changed its name and incorporated as The Service League of Hammond on May 2, 1938. This organization has now become known as Service League of Northwest Indiana because its interests and services were expanded to include other charitable organizations in the Northwest Indiana region.
Service League of Northwest Indiana helps to strengthen the community through fundraising activities and volunteering opportunities. Charities that we have donated to for 2016 include Nazareth Home, St. Joseph's Carmelite Home, St. Jude House, Area Career Center, Fairhaven, Sojourner Truth House, Operation Kindness, The Villages, Exceptional Equestrians, Power Paws for Kids, Gary Life Education Initiative Incorporated, Camp Millhouse, Haven House, Campagna Academy, Catholic Charities, and Humane Society.
some of the organizations we support
2017-2018 Donations highlights
- Our $2400 donation to the Nazareth Home takes care of ten special needs babies for one day
- Our $2000 donation to the Area Career Center purchased art supplies for students with moderate to severe mental disabilities.
- Our $2,800 donation to the Gary Life Initiative sponsored four students at $700 each for a full college care package.
- Our $4000 donation to the Fairhaven Center for Women went to the production and printing of full color student workbooks for students in grades 3-6.
- Our $1000 donation to the Food Bank of NWI went toward the backpack program that provides a food care package so children can have meals on non-school days.
- Our $2000 donation to Sojourner Truth provided funds for critical car for homeless and at-risk women in the Region.